American Junior Golf Association
Polo Golf Junior Classic
- Juniors get a taste of the Open in Liverpool
- Trevor Phillips and Sierra Brooks competed in the Junior Open Championship at The West Lancashire Golf Club, July 14 - 16 By Jared Dunn, AJGA Communications While the AJGA boasts a large international showing at its tournaments, it’s an exciting occasion when American juniors compete abroad at a high level. Trevor Phillips of Inman, South Carolina, and Sierra Brooks of Sorrento, Florida, are no strangers to international competition. Both traveled to The West Lancashire Golf Club in Liverpool, United Kingdom, to compete in the Junior Open Championship July 14 – 16. In a competitive, international field, Phillips finished 20th, carding...
more...Mon, 21 Jul 2014 14:14:35
- News and Notes: AJGA Junior at Mayacama
- By Sam Curtis, AJGA Communications Mayacama Golf Club played host to the AJGA Junior at Mayacama July 7-9. Mayacama, itself, is an exclusive golf club that has roughly 400 members. Juniors were thrilled to have the opportunity to play on the highly private course. Mayacama Golf Club is located in Sonoma County, California, just north of San Francisco. The golf course was designed by Jack Nicklaus. It was designed, with Scottish tradition in mind, to be a walking course. There are few carts paths that extend further than the tee boxes. Caddies guide members along the 6,761-yard course when not...
more...Mon, 21 Jul 2014 11:35:50
- #AJGAAlum in the headlines (July 21)
- Rickie Fowler competed with the AJGA from 2004-06, winning two events By Holly Sealy, AJGA Communications PGA TOUR AJGA alumni had a strong showing at The Open Championship with Rickie Fowler and Sergio Garcia tying for second after posting a tournament-total 15-under-par 273, just two strokes behind champion Rory McIlroy. This was Garcia’s fourth runner-up finish at a major. Before turning professional in 2009, Fowler had a successful AJGA career as a two-time Rolex Junior All-American. From 2004-06 Fowler amassed 11 top-10 finishes at AJGA events, including wins at the 2004 Nike Golf Junior at Louisville and 2006 CB&I Boys...
more...Mon, 21 Jul 2014 11:16:27
- News and Notes: Aaron's / Bob Estes Abilene Junior
- By Kyle Ginty, Communications Intern History The Abilene Junior is one of the longest-running events on the AJGA schedule. Since 1981, the AJGA has brought some of the best players in the nation to Big Country, with past champions including Scott Verplank, Phil Mickelson and Kelli Keuhne. PGA TOUR Professional Bob Estes has been a title sponsor of the event since 2006. Growing up in Abilene, Abilene Country Club was Estes’ home course. After attending the University of Texas, he turned professional and has been ranked in the top 20 of the World Golf Rankings. Bob Estes with juniors and...
more...Sun, 20 Jul 2014 17:06:02
- News and Notes: E-Z-GO Vaughn Taylor Championship presented by TaylorMade-adidas Golf
- By Landon Pederson, Communications Intern Pictured (Top left-right): Tennoshin Ogawa (Japan), Ritwick Jain (India), Keshav Sharma (India), Sera Tadokoro (Japan), Samantha Huang (China), Yunjie Zhang (China) (Bottom left-right): Pongpalin Lapvisuttisin, Yong Sherng Hui (Malaysia), Guentae Kim (South Korea), Xue Wen Luo (China) IJGA players compete in the E-Z-GO Vaughn Taylor Championship presented by TaylorMade-adidas Golf 10 players from the E-Z-GO Vaughn Taylor Championship presented by TaylorMade-adidas Golf were students of the International Junior Golf Academy. The IJGA is a full-time boarding school that combines golf training, education, and competition inside and outside of the classroom. The IJGA first opened its...
more...Sun, 20 Jul 2014 11:15:57
- #WyndhamCup withdrawals: Who was the better captain?
- By Amanda Herrington (@AJGAAmanda), AJGA Communications Having Wyndham Cup withdrawals? The event, which just celebrated its 25th anniversary, holds a unique place in AJGA history and is known for housing some of the most interesting facts about AJGA staff, past and present. Did you know AJGA Executive Director Stephen Hamblin served as captain of the East Team for the first seven years (1990-96) alongside West Captain Chris Haack (now head men’s golf coach at the University of Georgia)? Captains with the Cup: Chris Haack and Stephen Hamblin captained the first-ever Wyndham Cup teams in 1990. Since the 25th anniversary welcomed...
more...Fri, 18 Jul 2014 14:35:19
- News and Notes: AJGA Huntsville Junior
- JSK Initials usually appear on golf balls and scorecards, not on hats, but for this junior the initials on his hat mean more than just three letters. ‘JSK’ appears on the right-hand side of Conley Miller’s tournament hat. These initials are for Miller’s grandmother, Joyce Kessler, who was diagnosed with brain cancer in early January 2014. Miller wrote ‘JSK’ on his hat just to put a smile on his grandmother’s face, since she’s followed all of his golf tournaments. Kessler has had surgery and is currently undergoing chemotherapy, and getting better day-by-day. Down the Ledge It’s common to find golf...
more...Thu, 17 Jul 2014 18:24:58
- Ops vs. Comms: A Snapchat day in the life
- By Tim Jackman (@AJGAJackman), AJGA Communications Among the AJGA intern staff there is always a friendly rivalry between Operations interns and Communications interns. This rivalry stems from the different areas interns are in charge of based on either communications or operations tasks. It gives each group an incentive to be more efficient in order to finish the day before the other group. We will take a Snapchat tour of a day for a Communications intern and an Operations intern and let you decide which side you are on. If you would like more information on the AJGA's internship program visit...
more...Thu, 17 Jul 2014 17:07:31
- News and Notes: Midwest Junior Players Championship and Junior All-Star
- By: Commucations Assistant Leah Goldman and Communications Intern Michelle Hantak One week, one course, two tournaments For the first time in this calendar year, the AJGA ran two tournaments during the same week and on the same golf course. The Midwest Junior Players Championship and the Midwest Junior Players Junior All-Star were played at Mistwood Golf Club July 14-17. Each tournament featured a 72-player field with a 50 percent cut after the second round. For the first and second rounds, the tournaments alternated between morning and afternoon tee times, with the Midwest Players Junior All-Star teeing off first in the...
more...Thu, 17 Jul 2014 16:47:44
- A club fit for a president
- By Noël Couch, Communications Intern A golf course with a spectacular view from every green… Rows of beautiful homes in a close-knit community… A clubhouse that is designed to impress… You could say that Serrano Country Club is fit for a president. And, well, it is! The club was host to both President George H. W. Bush and President George W. Bush. The forty-first president put his skills to the test out on the course, while the forty-third attended a John Doolittle for Congress Reception at the club. Serrano Country Club Assistant Golf Professional, Dylan Rafdal, recalls the presidents’ visits,...
more...Thu, 17 Jul 2014 14:40:05
- Visit the tournament blog
- View the tournament blog in its entirety
more...Tuesday, July 22, 2014