American Junior Golf Association
Polo Golf Junior Classic
- Meet the 2014 Career Fair Team!
- The AJGA is kicking off the application for Spring and Summer #AJGAInternship positions by heading to career fairs at colleges and universities across the country. Meet the team of 23 full-time staff members who will be attending these fairs! Kathleen Adame Marketing Coordinator Intern Year: 2013 Began Full Time: 2014 School: University of Oregon Fairs Attending: University of Georgia, University of Oregon Blake Brittain Manager of Performance Based Entry Intern Year: 2010 Began Full Time: 2011 School: University of Alabama Fairs Attending: University of Alabama Casey Ceman Regional Director, West Intern Years: 2008, 2009 Began Full Time: 2010 School: UC...
more...Thu, 18 Sep 2014 14:15:40
- #AJGAAlum in the headlines (Sept. 15)
- Billy Horschel competed in AJGA events from 2003-05, with his best finish at the PING Junior at Mirasol in 2005 By Jared Dunn, AJGA Communications PGA TOUR At the TOUR Championship by Coca-Cola in Atlanta, AJGA alum Billy Horschel took home the tournament win and the FedEx Cup title, while fellow alum Jim Furyk collected his fourth runner-up finish of the year. This was Horschel’s second victory in as many attempts, claiming the BMW Championship title in Colorado one week earlier. Furyk’s performance was good enough to land him fourth in the FedEx Cup Rankings. Horschel compiled six top-20 finishes...
more...Mon, 15 Sep 2014 13:23:04
- #AJGAAlum in the headlines (Sept. 2)
- Chris Kirk earned medalist honors at the 2002 Polo Golf Junior Classic on his way to Rolex Junior All-America honors. By Jared Dunn, AJGA Communications PGA TOUR Chris Kirk won the Deutsche Bank Championship for his second PGA TOUR win of the season, after claiming The McGladrey Classic in November 2013. He finished two strokes ahead of fellow alumni Russell Henley and Billy Horschel, as well as Geoff Ogilvy. Kirk competed in AJGA events from 2001-03, where he won the 2003 TaylorMade-adidas Golf Junior at Château Élan and the 2002 Burgett H. Mooney, Jr. Rome Classic presented by State Mutual...
more...Tue, 02 Sep 2014 12:01:58
- News and Notes: AJGA Junior at Bethesda
- By Katie Bonneau, AJGA Communications The Bethesda Country Club When the Bethesda Country Club Corporation purchased the current site from the Washington Aviation Country Club in 1947, it was a 156-acre plot of land consisting of a clubhouse, two tennis courts, a nine-hole golf course, and was sold for $360,000. The 81 original members of the Bethesda Country Club joined forced to create the beautiful country club that it is today. Previously in the club’s history, it was called the Montgomery Country Club, which was converted into the National Women’s Country Club. The members of the club were first ladies,...
more...Tue, 02 Sep 2014 09:26:30
- News and Notes: The Junior PLAYERS Championship presented by TaylorMade-adidas Golf
- By Communications Interns Sofia Pettersson & Paula Toth A real PGA TOUR experience It is not a coincidence that The Junior PLAYERS Championship is many juniors’ favorite tournament on the AJGA schedule. The event is in many ways unique and provides the players a true PGA TOUR experience. The set-up of TPC Sawgrass – THE PLAYERS Stadium Course is as identical as can be to the PGA TOUR’s THE PLAYERS Championship. The juniors will play the course at 7,215 yards and with the same hole locations as the professionals, giving them a true TOUR test. Traditions From the moment you...
more...Sun, 31 Aug 2014 11:24:26
- Attention to detail
- By Noël Couch, Communications Intern Golf is a sport of mind, body, and soul. Players must keep steadfast focus through 18 holes of play and several days of a tournament. They’re required to fire their arm, leg, and core muscles simultaneously in order to hit the ideal shot. And passion, enthusiasm, and dedication are certainly a must. A spectator can watch the game and acknowledge players hitting a great shot or making a long putt, but it’s the small, detail-oriented aspects of the sport that make the difference between a good player and a great player. The AJGA hosts many...
more...Thu, 28 Aug 2014 23:57:52
- CollegeSTEPS® with Wells Fargo and AJGA 'U'
- By Kathleen Adame (@AJGA_U), AJGA Communications Deciding where to go to college is hard enough without thinking about the application system and more importantly how to finance your college education. AJGA ‘U’ and Wells Fargo have teamed up to help you navigate this complex process with the Wells Fargo CollegeSTEPS® article series. The series of articles consist of three distinct categories; preparing for college, the cost of college and credit. These articles will help prospective students feel more comfortable with the financial aspect of college. “Preparing for college” is a group of articles geared towards students in their junior and...
more...Tue, 26 Aug 2014 09:24:39
- #AJGAAlum in the headlines (Aug. 25)
- Hunter Mahan posed with Executive Director Stephen Hamblin after winning the 1998 Polo Golf Junior Classic. By Jared Dunn, AJGA Communications PGA TOUR AJGA alum Hunter Mahan won The Barclays after firing a final-round 6-under-par 65 to finish with a tournament-total 14-under-par 270. He finished two strokes ahead of fellow alum Cameron Tringale, who tied for second. The Barclays was held at Ridgewood Country Club in Paramus, New Jersey, only minutes away from Arcola Country Club, the site of the AJGA Junior hosted by Morgan Hoffmann held Aug. 11-14. Mahan played AJGA golf from 1997-2000, with a breakout year in...
more...Mon, 25 Aug 2014 11:39:42
- News and Notes: Stockton Convention & Visitors Bureau Junior All-Star
- Reserve the course The Reserve at Spanos Park hosted an AJGA event for the seventh year in a row. Located in Stockton, Califorina, the course has been a key stop during the summer season since 2008. The golf course was designed by Andy Raugust. The Reserve at Spanos Park is owned by Alex Spanos. If you are an NFL fan, you might recognize his name as the owner of the San Diego Chargers. Future of golf This section isn’t talking about the latest and greatest technology in golf. It’s about the future golfers helping grow the game. The Stockton Convention...
more...Sat, 23 Aug 2014 09:37:28
- News and Notes: Randy Wise Junior Open
- By Paula Toth, Communications Intern Once Upon a Time Volunteers are a huge aspect of the AJGA and help ensure our events run as smoothly as they can. This week, we had some help from the Mansour sisters, who all helped out each day during the event. The eldest sisters Catherine and Elizabeth came out during the final round to follow the leader girl groups as standard bearers. The youngest sister, Julia, lent a hand during the first round running scorecards. During the first round weather delay, 8-year-old Julia got an inside look at tournament headquarters and how much goes...
more...Fri, 22 Aug 2014 23:46:17
- Visit the tournament blog
- View the tournament blog in its entirety
more...Friday, September 19, 2014