American Junior Golf Association
Polo Golf Junior Classic
- News and Notes: Genesis Shootout presented by the Valero Texas Open
- By Paula Toth, Communications Intern Fair Oaks Ranch Golf & Country Club The Genesis Shootout presented by the Valero Texas Open is an event held at the Fair Oaks Ranch Golf & Country Club. Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas is a small town located North of San Antonio. The Fair Oaks Ranch Golf & Country Club opened in 1978, and boasts quite an interesting history. Originally owned by Ralph E. Fair Sr., the clubhouse itself is in fact the original home of the Fairs. Ralph E. Fair, Sr., a successful oilman and rancher, purchased several land tracts in the 1930s that...
more...Thu, 10 Jul 2014 18:20:32
- News and Notes: Will Claxton Junior presented by TestDrive.com
- Auburn alumna helps AJGA Auburn alumna, Diana Fernandez, worked with the AJGA Staff as the FootJoy Live Scoring leader at the Will Claxton Junior presented by TestDrive.com. Fernandez who played Women’s Golf at Auburn volunteered her time by entering all scores for the juniors during the second and third rounds. Fernandez is from the capital of Paraguay, Asuncion, and has played golf for 17 years, since she was five-years-old. Knowing that collegiate golf was in her future, Fernandez decided looking at colleges when she was 16-years-old, and knew Auburn was the right choice for her when she came on her...
more...Thu, 10 Jul 2014 17:49:28
- Wyndham Cup then and now: Celebrating 25 years
- Kellee Booth, Stephanie Neill, AJGA Executive Director Stephen Hamblin, Heather Bowie and Lisa Cornwell. By Amanda Herrington (@AJGAAmanda), AJGA Communications It’s been 20 years since they played in an AJGA event, but this week, AJGA alumnae Heather Young, Stephanie Neill, Kellee Booth, and Lisa Cornwell found themselves back where they began their golf careers – and where they made AJGA history. As members of the first-ever Wyndham Cup (back then it was known as Canon Cup), the group accepted a special invitation to commemorate 25 years of the East-versus-West match play event, being held at Old Sandwich Golf Club in...
more...Thu, 10 Jul 2014 06:54:18
- Wyndham Cup: Day Two Midday Report
- By Sofia Pettersson, Communications Intern The second day of the 2014 Wyndham Cup began with 10 foursome matches. The East, who captured an 8-7 lead after Day One, extended their lead to 14-11 after winning six morning matches. Future college rivals The second group of the day featured future college teammates and their future SEC rivals. The East’s Shannon Brooks (2015 grad) and Anna Newell (2014 grad), will compete at the University of Tennessee, while the West’s Lakareber Abe (2014 grad) and Kristen Gillman (2016 grad) will compete for the University of Alabama. Today, Brooks and Newell foreshadowed the future...
more...Wed, 09 Jul 2014 14:07:01
- Wyndham Cup - Day One Midday Report
- By Sofia Pettersson, Communications Intern The 2014 Wyndham Cup kicked off Tuesday morning with four-ball matches. After the West took the upper hand early in most of the matches, Team East rebounded to grab a 6-4 lead heading into mixed foursomes in the afternoon. Seven of the 10 four-ball matches were decided before playing a full 18 holes. Team East won four matches in less than 18 holes, while Team West won three matches in the same fashion. First point for the West After halving 16 of the first 17 holes, Davis Riley and Adam Wood of the East, and...
more...Tue, 08 Jul 2014 15:07:52
- Share the Wyndham Cup experience
- By Sofia Pettersson, Communications Intern 25th Anniversary In less than 16 hours, the first four-ball match will tee it up for the 2014 Wyndham Cup. This year marks the 25th anniversary of the Cup, making the event even more special. Over the years, many notable players have represented the East and West as the list of alumni include players such as Tiger Woods, Webb Simpson, Rickie Fowler, Inbee Park and Paula Creamer. Check out this photo album highlighting the top 25 moments of Wyndham Cup history. In honor of the 25th anniversary, four players from the 1990 Wyndham Cup are...
more...Mon, 07 Jul 2014 15:50:35
- #AJGAAlum in the headlines (July 7)
- Webb Simpson was a four-time Rolex Junior All-American during his AJGA career By Jana Jones, AJGA Communications PGA TOUR Webb Simpson moved up three spots to No. 28 in the Official World Golf Rankings after finishing third at The Greenbrier Classic. Simpson posted seven birdies in the final round to finish at 10-under-par 270. In the five-year history of the tournament, Simpson has finished within the top-10 three times (2011-12, 2014). Before turning professional in 2008, Simpson recorded 15 top-five finishes in AJGA competition. Simpson’s AJGA career was highlighted by a win at the 2001 Rolex Tournament of Champions and...
more...Mon, 07 Jul 2014 10:41:41
- Don't miss the action of the 25th anniversary #WyndhamCup
- By Sofia Pettersson and Laney Mullaney, Communications Interns The time has finally arrived - the Wyndham Cup 25th anniversary begins on Tuesday! The Cup is unique to any other tournament on the AJGA schedule, as East will battle West in a three-day match play event. The teams, divided by the Mississippi River, consist of the top 20 girls and boys from the East and the top 20 girls and boys of the West. No other event on the AJGA schedule will feature the camaraderie, teamwork, emotions and rivalry like the Wyndham Cup. Keep reading to find out how to follow...
more...Sun, 06 Jul 2014 20:16:18
- News and Notes: All About Community and Military at the Under Armour® / Jeff Overton Championship hosted by Otter Creek
- 50th Year Anniversary While the Under Armour® / Jeff Overton Championship celebrated its second year in Columbus, Indiana, Otter Creek Golf Course celebrated its 50th year anniversary. First opened in 1964, the original 18 holes were created by Robert Jones Sr. In 1995, Rees Jones, Robert’s son, added another nine holes to complete the 27-hole championship course. Otter Creek has hosted a variety of events, including state amateurs, NCAA Division 1 regions, three Big Ten national championships, USGA public links championships and several AJGA Junior Championships. Past AJGA winners at Otter Creek include Phil Mickelson, who won here back in...
more...Sun, 06 Jul 2014 12:33:13
- News and Notes: Coca-Cola Junior Championship at Boyne Highlands
- Don Giffels The Coca-Cola Junior Championship at Boyne Highlands is known for having some of the best volunteer support on the AJGA schedule. This year alone over 200 people volunteered to be spotters, run timing stations or help with live scoring. Don Giffels has been volunteering at the Coca-Cola Junior Championship at Boyne Highlands since 2007 and been the volunteer chairman of this event since 2008. Don is responsible for getting all volunteer positions filled for the tournament. It sounds like a daunting task, but each volunteer receives a free round of golf for every shift they serve throughout the...
more...Thu, 03 Jul 2014 20:48:24
- Visit the tournament blog
- View the tournament blog in its entirety
more...Friday, July 11, 2014