American Junior Golf Association
Polo Golf Junior Classic
- Truslow to play in Puerto Rico Open
- By Tim Jackman (@AJGAJackman), AJGA Communications Austen Truslow of New Smyrna Beach, Fla., started the Puerto Rico Junior Open just like every other player in the field, but after three rounds and 58 holes, he earned a one-stroke victory and an exemption into the PGA TOUR’S Puerto Rico Open presented by seepuertorico.com. Truslow won the Puerto Rico Junior Open in a sudden-death playoff “It is overwhelming to see my name on the player list with a lot of the guys I have been watching for the last ten years,” Truslow said. “I just can’t wait to play in general. It...
more...Wed, 05 Mar 2014 14:20:19 -0500
- #AJGAIRW An Experience Unlike Any Other
- By Tim Jackman (@AJGAJackman), AJGA Communications On Friday, Feb. 28, 96 of the most-talented young adults in the country descended on the American Junior Golf Association’s National Headquarters in Braselton, Ga., for the AJGA’s Intern Recruiting Weekend. Candidates came from more than 70 different colleges and universities and were vying for 48 spots in the AJGA’s summer internship program. They traveled from as far away as Spain and the United Kingdom to showcase what they could bring to the AJGA. Recruits arrived Friday night and were given a tour of the AJGA Headquarters before having dinner and listening to guest...
more...Mon, 03 Mar 2014 19:23:19 -0500
- Chris Dernick's service is all in the line of duty
- By Tim Jackman (@AJGAJackman), AJGA Communications If you ask Chris Dernick how she became involved in the AJGA she will tell you a story about a Sunday in the early 90s when she and her family were having Easter brunch. As they were leaving, they caught the end of a golf tournament. The tournament was conducted by the AJGA. Her children saw the juniors playing and how much of a big deal it was and they immediately wanted to get involved. Fast-forward 20 years and you will find Chris Dernick busily running around The Club at Carlton Woods’ Fazio Championship...
more...Mon, 17 Feb 2014 19:43:01 -0500
- Preseason Junior at Vinoy
- The beautiful Renaissance Vinoy Resort and Golf Club hosted the AJGA Preseason Junior at Vinoy for the second consecutive year. The resort is a historic landmark of the city of St. Petersburg and offers a picture perfect site for golfers of all ages. Opening in 1925, the golf club plays host to 432 active members and has held the distinction of being a historical landmark site since 1994. It displays a unique variety of wildlife, with several species of bird inhabiting the area, including eagles and ospreys. The Audubon Society annually conducts bird counts here during the week of Christmas....
more...Mon, 17 Feb 2014 12:03:22 -0500
- Preview: 2014 CB&I Boys Championship by the numbers
- By: Tim Jackman (@AJGAJackman) AJGA Communications For AJGA juniors, the Invitational stage is as big as it gets. With players coming from all over the world to compete, the competition is always tough. The field at the CB&I Boys Championship at Carlton Woods is no exception. 6 of 10: The field is determined by the Polo Golf Rankings, with invitations being sent to the top players. This year the field features six of the top-10 boys including the Nos. 1 and 2 ranked players, Scott Scheffler of Dallas, and Brad Dalke of Hobart, Okla. Between Scheffler and Dalke, there is...
more...Thu, 06 Feb 2014 16:53:02 -0500
- Preview: 2014 CB&I Boys Championship
- By: Tim Jackman (@AJGAJackman), AJGA Communications Tournament Website There are many AJGA tournaments which boast successful alumni, but few have the track record of the CB&I Boys Championship at Carlton Woods. Past winners of this event include some of the most well-known names on the PGA TOUR. In the inaugural CB&I Boys Championship in 1987, Jim Furyk took home the coveted trophy. In 1989, David Duval claimed the championship, and three years after a player most people have heard of, Tiger Woods, walked away as the 1992 winner. The list of champions continues with names like, Rickie Fowler and Jordan...
more...Fri, 31 Jan 2014 15:07:15 -0500
- News and Notes: Preseason Junior at Oak Valley
- By: Tim Jackman, AJGA Communications Conducted by the American Junior Golf Association, the Preseason Junior at Oak Valley is a 54-hole stroke play competition featuring 60 boys and 24 girls, ages 12-18, from nine states and Canada. The par-72 Oak Valley Golf Club is playing 6,595 yards for the boys and 5,716 for the girls. A First Time For Everything The winner of both the Boys Division and the Girls Division were playing in their first AJGA tournament. Shawn Lu of Honolulu, finished with a tournament-total 142 to medal in the Boys Division. In the Girls Division, Nastasia Kossacky of...
more...Thu, 23 Jan 2014 18:39:42 -0500
- The Annika Effect
- By: Amanda Herrington (@AJGAAmanda), AJGA Communications It’s been six years since Annika played in her last professional tournament, closing a career that included 72 LPGA victories, 10 major wins and eight Rolex Player of the Year Awards, the most of any female golfer. Most of the girls playing at this week’s ANNIKA Invitational were the age of eight or younger when she retired from golf. However, ask any player in the field and it is clear that Annika’s legacy is larger than ever. A promise to Annika “I’m speechless. She is a legend and she is the reason I wanted...
more...Sun, 19 Jan 2014 14:16:22 -0500
- New Year, New Faces: Meet the New Hire Class of 2014
- By Roseanna Smith, AJGA Communications It is a new year and we have new faces at the office. A tradition at the AJGA is to spend a few days celebrating our new employees, and as the culmination of the festivities, it is my honor to introduce you to the official New Hire Class of 2014. (Editor's note: Our new hire class contains all full-timers who began their employment late in 2013 or at the first of the new year.) Below we feature 13 employees – across Player Services, Operations, Sponsorship, IT and Communications – all of whom are working together...
more...Wed, 15 Jan 2014 18:18:28 -0500
- Visit the tournament blog
- View the tournament blog in its entirety
more...Tuesday, March 11, 2014