American Junior Golf Association
Polo Golf Junior Classic
- CollegeSTEPS® with Wells Fargo and AJGA 'U'
- By Kathleen Adame (@AJGA_U), AJGA Communications Deciding where to go to college is hard enough without thinking about the application system and more importantly how to finance your college education. AJGA ‘U’ and Wells Fargo have teamed up to help you navigate this complex process with the Wells Fargo CollegeSTEPS® article series. The series of articles consist of three distinct categories; preparing for college, the cost of college and credit. These articles will help prospective students feel more comfortable with the financial aspect of college. “Preparing for college” is a group of articles geared towards students in their junior and...
more...Tue, 26 Aug 2014 09:24:39
- #AJGAAlum in the headlines (Aug. 25)
- Hunter Mahan posed with Executive Director Stephen Hamblin after winning the 1998 Polo Golf Junior Classic. By Jared Dunn, AJGA Communications PGA TOUR AJGA alum Hunter Mahan won The Barclays after firing a final-round 6-under-par 65 to finish with a tournament-total 14-under-par 270. He finished two strokes ahead of fellow alum Cameron Tringale, who tied for second. The Barclays was held at Ridgewood Country Club in Paramus, New Jersey, only minutes away from Arcola Country Club, the site of the AJGA Junior hosted by Morgan Hoffmann held Aug. 11-14. Mahan played AJGA golf from 1997-2000, with a breakout year in...
more...Mon, 25 Aug 2014 11:39:42
- News and Notes: Stockton Convention & Visitors Bureau Junior All-Star
- Reserve the course The Reserve at Spanos Park hosted an AJGA event for the seventh year in a row. Located in Stockton, Califorina, the course has been a key stop during the summer season since 2008. The golf course was designed by Andy Raugust. The Reserve at Spanos Park is owned by Alex Spanos. If you are an NFL fan, you might recognize his name as the owner of the San Diego Chargers. Future of golf This section isn’t talking about the latest and greatest technology in golf. It’s about the future golfers helping grow the game. The Stockton Convention...
more...Sat, 23 Aug 2014 09:37:28
- News and Notes: Randy Wise Junior Open
- By Paula Toth, Communications Intern Once Upon a Time Volunteers are a huge aspect of the AJGA and help ensure our events run as smoothly as they can. This week, we had some help from the Mansour sisters, who all helped out each day during the event. The eldest sisters Catherine and Elizabeth came out during the final round to follow the leader girl groups as standard bearers. The youngest sister, Julia, lent a hand during the first round running scorecards. During the first round weather delay, 8-year-old Julia got an inside look at tournament headquarters and how much goes...
more...Fri, 22 Aug 2014 23:46:17
- News and Notes: Coca-Cola Junior Championship/All-Star at Sugarloaf
- By Laney Mullaney and Sofia Pettersson, Communications Interns Cross training The Coca-Cola Junior Championship/Junior All-Star marked the last tournament of Intern Team 5’s schedule. In order to get the most out of the experience Communications Interns Laney and Sofia decided to join their operations teammates setting hole locations. Despite pouring rain and temperatures just over 50 degrees, Sofia and Laney were excited to expand their knowledge about the operations side of the internship. Although there is a constant but friendly competition between the operations and the communications interns in terms of who finishes first and whose job is really the...
more...Thu, 21 Aug 2014 17:35:02
- Senior Rules Official Marvin
- By Tim Jackman (@AJGAJackman), AJGA Communications Marvin Weinstein has volunteered with the AJGA for six years, but he is not what you might think of when you year the word volunteer. Marvin is an SRO, which is short for Senior Rules Official. It is his responsibility to be the final say on all rules and decisions at a golf tournament. His story does not begin with the AJGA, it goes back many more years. Twenty-four years ago, Marvin decided to become a rules official. He had always played golf and been interested in the game, but wanted to become more...
more...Thu, 21 Aug 2014 16:54:28
- News and Notes: Under Armour® / Jordan Spieth Championship presented by American Campus Communities
- By: Paula Toth, Communications Intern #UASpieth Jordan Spieth has been rising in popularity since becoming a pro golfer at the young age of 19. Since then, he has participated in several pro tournaments, winning the 2013 John Deere Classic (becoming the youngest winner of a PGA event in 83 years), tying for second in last year’s Masters, and recently being added to the upcoming Ryder Cup roster. He is becoming a household name and wowing the golf world with his talents. Not too long ago, he was playing in AJGA events, likely never dreaming he would be hosting his own...
more...Mon, 18 Aug 2014 23:26:18
- The Inaugural Event
- By Noël Couch, Communications Intern The AJGA has a rich history of long-running tournaments it has hosted at the same clubs each year. Players reminisce on the years they have played in those events and remember the courses, the staff, and the clubhouses they have visited before. There is something special about those annual events, however, there is nothing as exciting as a first-time event. This year, the AJGA hosted an inaugural event at Butte Creek Country Club. The AJGA intern team six traveled to Chico, California, where the new event was held. The word defining the week was “exceptional.”...
more...Mon, 18 Aug 2014 17:21:10
- In memory: Mr. Larry Conlee
- By Amanda Herrington (@AJGAAmanda), AJGA Communications The junior golf world suffered a true loss on Friday, Aug. 8, as James Larry Conlee, founder of the top-ranked junior golf tournament the Bubba Conlee National Junior Golf Tournament, passed away. Conlee created the event in memory of his son James Larry “Bubba” Conlee, who died tragically during the peak of his junior golf career. Since 1980, Conlee has dedicated his life to serving junior golf and hosting the nation’s top talent to the “Bubba,” as the event was affectionately known. He opened his home to players and their families and welcomed college...
more...Mon, 18 Aug 2014 14:50:27
- #AJGAAlum in the headlines (Aug. 18)
- Competing for the East at the Wyndham Cup in 2002 and 2004 was only one of many accomplishments in the LPGA star's junior career. By Jared Dunn, AJGA Communications LPGA Tour South Korean AJGA alumna Inbee Park defended her title at the Wegman’s LPGA Championship, defeating fellow alumna Brittany Lincicome in a one-hole playoff. The two finished at 11-under-par 277 as Park claimed her fifth major title on the LPGA Tour. In 2013, Park also won via playoff, besting Catriona Matthew of Scotland. Before turning professional in 2007, Park recorded eight career AJGA wins from 2001-05, including the 2002 Rolex...
more...Mon, 18 Aug 2014 11:15:14
- Visit the tournament blog
- View the tournament blog in its entirety
more...Wednesday, August 27, 2014