The team match-play Wyndham Cup will be hosted June 30 - July 3, 2019, at Old Town Club in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. The 40-player field features the 10 best junior males and junior females from both the East and West sides of the country.
About the field
· 33 of the 40 competitors are AJGA Champions
· 29 of the 40 competitors are current Rolex Junior All-Americans
· 11 juniors have signed a National Letter of Intent and 29 are verbally committed to play college golf
· Eight of the top-10 boys and each of the top-10 girls in the Rolex AJGA Rankings are in the field
About the course
Established in 1939, Old Town Club provides an atmosphere of elegance and hospitality for its members and their guests. Given that WWII marked the end of the Golden Age of golf course architecture, Old Town today is recognized as the final significant course to emerge from that genre of venerated masterworks. In fact, this year Golfweek Magazine ranked Old Town Club as the No. 23 Classic Course in the country.
2015 Wyndham Cup History
Old Town Club hosted the Wyndham Cup one other time in its history. In 2015, the West Team retained the Wyndham Cup for the third-straight year, defeating the East by a score of 27.5-22.5.
Notable Old Town Club Wyndham Cup alumni:
· Sierra Brooks, East – University of Florida, three collegiate wins, top-10 finish at ANWA
· Sam Burns, West – LSU, four collegiate wins, 2017 Jack Nicklaus Award, four top-10s on PGA Tour
· Jillian Hollis, East – University of Georgia, four collegiate wins, two wins on Symetra Tour
· Haley Moore, West – University of Arizona, three collegiate wins, 2018 NCAA Team Champion, top-10 finish at ANWA
· Braden Thornberry, East – Ole miss, 11 collegiate wins, 2017 Haskins Award, 2017 NCAA Individual Champion
· Matthew Wolff, West – Oklahoma State University, six collegiate wins, 2019 Haskins Award, 2019 NCAA Individual Champion
About the competition
Since 1990, the Wyndham Cup has brought together 40 of the country’s top junior golfers in an East vs. West team match play tournament. Five match play formats are played over the course of three days – four-ball, mixed four-ball, foursomes, mixed foursomes and singles. A total of 50 points is available, and each player will play singles and three of the other four formats.
In 2018, the West Team claimed the Cup for the third time in the last four years with a 26.5-23.5 win at Old Sandwich Golf Club in Plymouth, Massachusetts, improving its all-time record to 16-10-3. This year, the country dividing line runs from the eastern border of Texas, extending northward through the eastern border of North Dakota.
Notable 2019 AJGA Champions Competing in Wyndham Cup
· Brett Roberts won the Wyndham Invitational presented by BB&T
· Jackson Van Paris won the AJGA Simplify Boys Championship at Carlton Woods
· Cindy Kou took home the title at the ANA Junior Inspiration
· Alexa Melton won the Thunderbird International Junior
· Brianna Navarrosa won the Buick Shanshan Feng AJGA Girls Invitational
· Alexa Pano won the Rolex Girls Junior Championship
About the AJGA
The American Junior Golf Association is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to the overall growth and development of young men and women who aspire to earn college golf scholarships through competitive junior golf. The AJGA provides valuable exposure for college golf scholarships and has an annual junior membership (boys and girls, ages 12-19) of more than 7,200 members from 50 states and 60 foreign countries. Through initiatives like the Achieving Competitive Excellence (ACE) Grant, a financial assistance program, and Leadership Links, a service-oriented platform that teaches juniors charitable-giving skills, the AJGA fosters the growth of golf’s next generation.
TaylorMade and adidas are the AJGA’s National Sponsors, supporting the AJGA for more than 25 years. TaylorMade has served as the Official Ball of the AJGA since 2016. adidas has been the Official Apparel and Footwear of the AJGA since 2017. Rolex, in its fourth decade of AJGA sponsorship, became the inaugural AJGA Premier Partner in 2004.AJGA alumni have risen to the top of amateur, collegiate and professional golf. Former AJGA juniors have compiled more than 900 victories on the PGA and LPGA Tours. AJGA alumni include Rickie Fowler, Sergio Garcia, Dustin Johnson, Phil Mickelson, Patrick Reed, Jordan Spieth, Justin Thomas, Tiger Woods, Paula Creamer, Ariya Jutanugarn, Cristie Kerr, Stacy Lewis, Brittany Lincicome, Anna Nordqvist, Inbee Park and Lexi Thompson.
About Wyndham Rewards
Recently named the number one hotel rewards program by readers of USA TODAY, Wyndham Rewards® is the world’s most generous rewards program with more than 30,000 hotels, vacation club resorts and vacation rentals worldwide. Designed for the everyday traveler, members earn a guaranteed 1,000 points with every qualified stay and may redeem points for a wide-range of rewards, including free nights at any of more than 9,000 hotels or tens of thousands of vacation club resorts and vacation rentals globally through partnership with Wyndham Destinations (NYSE: WYND) and others. Wyndham Rewards has over 75 million enrolled members around the globe. Join for free today at www.wyndhamrewards.com. You’ve earned this.®