According to AJGA records, 67 boys and 19 girls who competed in the 2014 Senior Showcase Championships are now playing on a college golf team. Nearly 60 percent of competitors went on to play college golf.
Coinciding with the Golf Coaches Association of America (GCAA) and Women’s Golf Coaches Association (WGCA) annual conventions held in Las Vegas, the tournament provides a prime opportunity for unsigned seniors to showcase their talent as college coaches finalize their upcoming rosters. Coaches from 56 schools attended the 2014 Senior Showcase Championships with 13 schools in attendance ultimately adding players to their rosters. In all, participants went on to compete for 71 different colleges and universities.
“Before the tournament, I had no idea where I was going to go. It was scary to think I was running out of opportunities. The tournament gives a chance for both boys and girls to show their game in front of a lot of coaches. Without it, I might never have had the chance to meet my coaches.” –
Hayley Mortensen, Northern Illinois University
“Going into November, I was looking at a couple of schools and talking with a few, but I didn’t get a verbal. I decided to play and broaden my options. I knew it would give me a better chance at playing college golf in 2014, and it opened a lot of doors for me. Four or five schools called me right away for official visits. It really kick started my recruitment. I wouldn’t be here without that event.” –
Osama Khan, Virginia Commonwealth University
“Hosting this event is one of the smartest things that the AJGA has done. It’s a great opportunity for those kids that are one click down from elite players. For unsigned seniors to travel in December to battle the wind and the cold we had last year and compete, really showed that they wanted to play.” –
Jim Owen, Director of Golf, Oglethorpe University
Applicants for unsigned seniors events must meet the following criteria:
- 2015 or 2016 high school graduates who are less than 20 years old for the duration of the tournament
- Current AJGA membership for 2015 or 2016 season
- Tournament field to be filled based on Performance Based Entry status
- Tournament applicants (2015 and 2016 graduates only may apply) must not have committed (verbally or in writing) to a college at the time of application or before the tournament starts.
- A player who is accepted to the tournament field and subsequently commits by giving a verbal intent or signing a National Letter of Intent during the Nov. 11-18, 2015, signing period will be removed from the tournament field if he or she has not submitted a withdrawal.
To apply, complete the application here
. The application deadline is Tuesday, October 20, by 5 p.m. ET.