Mallory Code Lived a Full Life

Cystic Fibrosis takes its final toll

When Mallory Code first arrived on the AJGA scene in 1998, it was not immediately apparent that she was fighting a life-shortening disease for which there was no cure. Cystic Fibrosis presented its challenges to the 14-year-old, but it didn’t stop her from emerging as one of the nation’s top junior golfers. In 2000, she captured the Rolex Tournament of Champions and was on top of the junior golf world.

Between 2000 and 2003, Mallory became a four-time Rolex Junior All-American and showed little signs of slowing down. She was getting the better of the disease at the time, but the reality that everyone had to deal with was that Cystic Fibrosis eventually wins out.

Not one to wallow in self pity, Mallory went about her life with a positive attitude, making the world a better place for those around her. She became a spokesperson for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, speaking – and inspiring – CF patients across the country. Her efforts helped to raise funds for research into this deadly disease and gave hope to other CF patients that life could be lived to the fullest. Mallory was a walking example.

During these years, the AJGA honored her with the Jerry Cole Sportsmanship Award and she appeared on the Today Show, HBO Real Sports, and was presented an Arete Award for courage, which aired on CBS. She was also featured in Tomorrow’s Champions, an ABC special filmed at the 2003 Canon Cup.

After graduating from high school, Mallory went on to the University of Florida and recently received her Bachelor’s Degree in English. At times during her college years, her disease hospitalized her for weeks at a time. But Mallory kept on fighting. She was motivated by the desire to walk the aisle at her sister Whitney’s wedding. She was energized by the birth of her niece and nephew. And she was enriched by the love of her family and friends.

Living in her own apartment, Mallory recently started her own web site, helping savvy shoppers find bargains. But through it all, her CF continued to make its presence known.

At 25 years of age, Mallory had lived well beyond her doctors' expectations. But the strain of living with her disease finally overcame her. With a blood infection and pneumonia, she was admitted to the hospital Saturday afternoon and her condition worsened. Mallory took her last breath Monday around 6:30 p.m.

She was loved and will be missed. Her fighting spirit and determination were an example to us all.