"In golf, customs of etiquette and decorum are just as important as rules governing play." It is appropriate for parents and spectators to applaud successful strokes, but in order to secure the spirit of the game, we ask parents and spectators to please adhere to the following guidelines:
- Advice (Rule 10.2) is any verbal comment or action that is intended to influence you or another player in choosing a club, making a stroke, or deciding how to play during a hole or round. In addition, any conversation between player/spectator may be construed as advice. This includes any conversation between player/spectator in their native language. In either instance, penalty for breach of this rule is two strokes. Players are responsible for the actions of their relatives and spectators in regards to this rule.
- Keeping the above statement in mind, please keep your conversation with the player to words of encouragement as long as advice is not given.
- Spectators attend AJGA events at their own risk.
- Please silence your cell phone while at AJGA events or abide by the Host Facilities policy, whichever is more strict.
- The AJGA does not allow spectator carts except if the spectator has a permanent handicap placard. Handicap spectators must present their placard to the Tournament Director prior to getting a golf cart. Spectators will not receive a cart unless they have this official placard. Letters from doctors or visible injuries will not warrant a golf cart without a placard.
- All players and spectators are not permitted to ride on the back of a golf cart at any time during AJGA competitions.
- Spectators should stay on cart paths. In the absence of cart paths, we ask that spectators stay in the rough. Please stay off fairways, tees and greens.
- Spectators should stay one shot ahead of the group they are following. This allows spectators to follow errant shots and help identify where the ball comes to rest. Spectators are allowed to aid in the search for lost golf balls.
- Spectators should not give rulings. Please seek an AJGA rules official if the need arises.
- Spectators are allowed to carry medicine, drinks, food, umbrellas, etc.
The AJGA staff will further discuss the spectator guidelines at each tournament's parents meeting.