AJGA SPECTATOR CODE OF CONDUCT
The AJGA takes great pride in providing a fun, safe and healthy tournament atmosphere for our players, parents, guardians, college coaches, volunteers, sponsors, permitted guests and staff.
The AJGA requires all parties to adhere to the rules and regulations outlined below when interacting with the various tournament stakeholders while at an AJGA event.
Please remember that we (myself, my son or daughter, other players, spectators and the AJGA staff) are guests at AJGA host facilities and my player is subject to the rules and guidelines established regarding dress code, code of conduct, use of practice areas, practice rounds and playing the golf course.
"In golf, customs of etiquette and decorum are just as important as rules governing play."
- Bobby Jones
As a Parent/Guardian of an AJGA member, I promise that:
- I will adhere to the AJGA's guidelines for promoting player, spectator and staff safety. I understand that the AJGA will not tolerate violations of safety guidelines by players, parents, guardians, permitted guests, or coaches, and that the AJGA may penalize and/or remove me if I (or the others listed above) violate such policies at the golf course, host hotel, or any venue associated with the AJGA tournament;
- I will, under no circumstances, engage in acts of violence, racism, sexism, or discrimination of any kind toward any party;
- I will not make unwelcomed physical contact with anyone;
- I will respect the decisions of the committee and react to these decisions in a respectful manner;
- I will abide by Additional Practice Round guidelines, including if these rounds are or are not available or set for a limited amount of time;
- I will not come to the host facility unannounced in advance of the event and harass members/course staff to gain access, or call the host facility repeatedly in regards to additional practice rounds or course policies;
- I will honor AJGA Staff and Player Only areas;
- I will comply with Rule 10.2 in the USGA/R&A Rules of golf, and avoid giving my player advice, and that any conversation between players or spectators may be construed as advice including any conversation in their native language. This may be subject to a 2-stroke penalty.
GENERAL RULES FOR ALL SPECTATORS:
- Spectators attend AJGA events at their own risk.
- Please silence all cell phones at AJGA events.
- The AJGA does not allow spectator carts, except if the spectator has a permanent handicap placard. Handicap spectators must present their placard to the Tournament Director prior to getting a golf cart. Spectators will not receive a cart unless they have this official placard. Letters from doctors or visible injuries will not warrant a golf cart without a placard.
- All players and spectators are not permitted to ride on the back of a golf cart at any time during AJGA competition.
- Spectators must stay on cart paths or in the rough, and stay off fairways, greens, and tees.
- Spectators should remain one shot ahead of the group they are following. This will allow spectators to follow errant shots and help identify spots in which a ball may come to rest.
- Spectators are encouraged to help players and AJGA staff search for golf balls.
- AJGA Rules officials must be the only individuals who give rulings to players.
- Spectators are allowed to carry medicine, food, drinks, umbrellas, etc.
- For your personal safety, we ask you to exercise caution at all times. When inclement weather moves into the area, the AJGA will suspend play by sounding airhorns. Accordingly, you should seek shelter immediately. The AJGA staff will evacuate players from the course first and then spectators.
VIOLATIONS & PENALTIES:
Whether a parent has violated this Code of Conduct, and what penalty or penalties are appropriate, will be determined in the sole discretion of the AJGA; however, the AJGA may delegate certain decisions to the Tournament Committee. The AJGA and/or the AJGA Tournament Committee may assess any or all of the following penalties (alone or in combination) based on the severity and frequency of the violation(s):
- Loss of spectating privileges at the current tournament and/or future tournaments.
- Immediate disqualification of the player from the tournament at which the violation occurs;
- Disqualification of the player from future event(s), including without limitation, future Invitationals and/or postseason honors;
- Suspension of AJGA membership (including playing privileges); and/or
- Revocation of AJGA membership.
Failure to abide by these rules and regulations may result in any or all of the following penalties including suspension of spectating privileges, player disqualification, or membership review.
Depending on the type and severity of the violation, one or more of the above penalties may be assessed on the spot, or at a later time, after further reflection or investigation by the AJGA. In any case, upon a violation, the parent(s) or guardian(s) and the player will receive a written letter to explain the AJGA's final decision.
Revised January 27, 2023